15 January 2008

Escape!


Thank God for vacations. Seriously.
I just took my first real vacation. Literally, it was one of the best things I've ever done.
Yes, the location was fantastic. Yes, the company was wonderful. Yes, it was at the most appropriate and necessary time.
Teaching is a joy to me. It really is. Aside from all the bureaucratic crap, I love my students and the knowledge that they learn from me and look forward to learning from me. I understand why everyone promised it would be a rewarding career. But it's taxing work. Especially considering the kind of students I work with. But I still love them. Really, I do.
Still, I was in utter need of the vacation. I took the precious week of Christmas break and traipsed off to the Bahamas with one of my best friends and some mutual friends. I met new people, experienced new things, and literally sat down to do nothing. I sat, stared into the sky, basked in the tropical sun, and thought about absolutely nothing. Nothing. I pause to think about how wonderful an experience it was.
If you haven't taken a vacation or don't feel like it's for you: take one! Save the money and splurge or go do something inexpensive. Whichever you choose, take the time for yourself. If it's only for a few hours, go where you don't have to respond to any demands aside from your own.
I promise it will be entirely worth it!

No comments: